Love and affection are important at birth and remain crucial throughout life. We don’t age out of our desire to be loved, but how we find love changes as we age and no longer frequent the same scenes we did as teens or twenty-somethings.
Don’t be dismayed: the same technology that our younger counterparts use to find love extends to the silver community, providing ample opportunity for connection in your golden years. Here are the top ten apps and sites for finding love after 60:
- eharmony – eharmony’s claim to fame is the two million people who have found love through their compatibility-focused match-making platform. While the site isn’t dedicated to the 60+ crowd, all ages are welcome and a fair number of users fall into the 55+ category. eharmony is best for those looking for a soulmate or a lifelong partner as it requires careful thought, an initial investment of time, and attracts other users who want commitment over casual relationships. Free options are available but users will enjoy the platform best with a monthly membership ranging from $29.90 – $59.95 per month.
- SilverSingles – Catering to singles over 50, SilverSingles is growing rapidly; as of April 2020, they were signing 50,000 new members each week and matching 2,000 couples monthly. Much like eharmony, this site is geared toward those looking for a serious relationship and requires users to take a personality test to assist in gauging compatibility between users. Some services are free – like matching suggestions, the personality test, and sending smiles to other users – while others require a membership ranging from $27.95 – $49.95 per month.
- Match.com – For $17.99 – $35.99 per month, Match.com offers access to 4 million members in the US alone, 3 million of those whom log into the platform daily – which indicates an active search for love. While Match caters to daters of all ages, 15% of it’s members are over 55, making it a great place to find someone to retire alongside. The sign-up process is quicker and easier than it is on other platforms and the process is a little more casual, allowing users to browse potential partners and make decisions rather than rely on formal match-making.
- OurTime – Like SilverSingles, OurTime was created with those over 50 in mind. 1.5 million US users have signed up using the quick and easy 3-minute registration process (which is user-friendly if you aren’t very tech savvy, which we think is a plus). When you search for users whose profiles meet your preferences, you have a myriad of filtering options including body type, children, religion, zodiac sign, age range, and more, which makes it easier to avoid deal-breakers and find somebody who is compatible with you. However, users must pay to contact members; monthly prices range from $15.96 – $19.96.
- SeniorMatch – Designed to help those over 45 find love, SeniorMatch has fewer members than the sites above (260,000) but better features for non-paying members. The site is focused on helping people find a long-term, serious partner rather than a casual “meet up.” The list of free services is extensive and includes replying to messages and chats, adding public and private photos, and commenting on photos and profiles. Things like initiating a conversation require a membership, which ranges from $15.99 – $29.95 per month.
- MeetUp – Different than the rest of the sites that made the list, MeetUp aims to help facilitate platonic friendships rather than romantic relationships. By creating an account and logging in, users get access to a myriad of events and groups in their area, often interested-based, that can assist them in meeting their new best friend.
- Christian Mingle – Although it caters to users of every age, nearly a fifth of Christian Mingle’s 7 million users are over 55, making it a great place to find love with a spiritually compatible partner. Unlike many sites, there is good balance between male and female users, leaving neither gender finding in an overly competitive pool. Membership isn’t required but beneficial and ranges from $24.99 – $49.99 per month.
Safety is critically important for those seeking friendships or relationships online. Never share your personal information online (address, date of birth, Social Security number, last name) and never send anyone you’ve only met online money for anything. If you do choose to meet up with a potential partner face to face, choose a public place and consider starting with a safe option like a double date.
It’s never too late to find love, but it can be challenging when the sorority and bar scene days are over. Keeping an open mind and experimenting with online platforms can help you form meaningful connections with people you have the opportunity to get to know before you meet, improving your chance of long-term love and success.